Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Introduction

Welcome to Numismatic History! I have recently been blogging about my trading card collection, and have come to love the features that BlogSpot offers, and decided to create blogs for all my hobbies.

After a brief infatuation with the world of coin collecting in 1995-96, it went by the wayside for several years. In 1999 I began collecting the State Quarters and collected them through the end, but I didn't truly become a numismatist until 2008, when I discovered the greater world of coin collecting- and currency collecting. By then my life had changed significantly from earlier times, as it was in 2007 that I really became a huge history buff, especially ancient civilizations. Coinage and currency, to an extent, is a way I can connect to that history. My health (graded poor) does not allow me to travel and see historic places, and even if I had perfect health, I couldn't travel back in time. But I could add some coins to my collection from various places and times in history.

It's never been my #1 hobby, I must admit. And I do sometimes get discouraged and walk away for months at a time, but I always come back.

I am strictly a small fish in a big pond- I generally don't spend more than $20 on a single piece for my collection, and the most I've ever spent on one thing was $50. That is few and far between, I can count on one hand the times I've spent more than $20 on a single piece. That leads to the address of the blog- although I tagged it at $25 instead of 20, in case I ever decide to up my limit, I suppose, but mostly because Numismatic History by itself was already taken.

The vast majority of my collection, however, was either (For US coinage/currency) pulled from circulation, or for world issues, purchased by the pound. I LOVE to do that, and I usually get a pound each Christmas. I've built a very nice collection that way...at least I think it's nice. Most people probably don't, because it's mostly all circulated, common issues...but that's OK, because it's my collection, and it makes me happy, so that's really all that matters. I would rather have quantity than quality and buying by the pound certainly provides that. I won't run out of anything to post any time soon, not that I actually expect to have much in the way of readers anyway (hah).

Now, I am a decent photographer...I've actually had my photography published in a magazine with international circulation...but I can't photograph coins to save my life. Scans aren't ideal, but that's what I'll be posting on here. (Scans do work better for currency though!)

I am a member of the ANA, since 2008. I was a member of the SPMC for a while, but let my membership lapse. I may rejoin at some point but I'm more likely to join the world paper money collector's group I have read about...if I could remember the name/website.

I know I will never have the high end stuff, I'll never have any gold or anything really spectacular, but that's OK. The world of numismatics is large enough that not having those things does not stop me from building a collection that can bring hours of enjoyment.

Thanks for reading, and I'll be posting some images soon!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanna remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the topic matter is rattling good
    Pakistan English News
    Pakistan Breaking News

    ReplyDelete